The forces and means of the collective security system are designed to participate in:
- in preventing the threat and repelling an armed attack (aggression) against one or several CSTO member states, localizing armed actions and conflicts;
- measures to counter the challenges and threats to the security of the CSTO member states, including combating international terrorism, trafficking in narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and their precursors, weapons and ammunition, other types of transnational organized crime;
- in the implementation of measures to protect the population from the dangers arising from the conduct of hostilities or as a result of these actions,
- in the elimination of emergency situations and the provision of emergency humanitarian assistance;
- in strengthening the protection of state borders, as well as state and military facilities of the CSTO member states;
- in peacekeeping operations; and also to solve other tasks determined by the CSTO Collective Security Council.
The “region of collective security” is a part of the CSTO zone of responsibility, including, taking into account the geostrategic position of the territory of one or several CSTO member states, within which the interests of their national and collective security are ensured.
“Coalition grouping of troops (forces)” is a grouping of troops (forces) created by the CSTO member states on a multilateral (collective) basis within the framework of the CSTO, including military contingents and the formation of special forces.
The coalition grouping of troops (forces) consists of the forces and means of the CSTO member states, including military contingents and the formation of special forces, which are a component of the Organization’s collective security system’s constant readiness and are designed to promptly respond to the challenges and threats in the CSTO area of responsibility.
“Regional (integrated) grouping of troops (forces)” is a grouping of troops (forces) created by the CSTO member states on a bilateral or multilateral basis within the relevant collective security region.
The regional (integrated) grouping of troops (forces) is made up of peacekeeping forces deployed in peacetime or deployed in a threatened period to repel a possible armed attack (aggression) of the armed forces and other military formations of the Parties to the relevant collective security region.
"Combined (joint) military systems" - a set of forces and means that are homogeneous in their functional purpose and allocated by the CSTO member states in order to fulfill the tasks of ensuring collective security.
Groupings of joint (joint) military systems are formed by the CSTO member states through the organizational and technical unification of a part of national forces and equipment that are homogeneous in their functional purpose and used in the interests of collective security.